Sobriety Check

Nick Cohen raises some good questions about America's future once we get over our infatuation with Obama.

I have an Obama bumper sticker on my car. I dropped my independent status and became a Democrat because I want change - real change - but I wonder how much is really possible.

If Obama is elected president, what will change in America? Will some of the 37 million people now living below the poverty line be lifted out of their misery? Will there be less people in prison? Will health insurance become affordable? Will Obama have the political will to investigate the crimes of the Bush administration, or will things be mostly swept under the rug, similar to the Iran-Contra fiasco? Will our foreign policy be able to shift to new challenges as well as getting us out of two bloody wars? Will America find a way to meet the challenges of climate change? I could go on and on...

Instead of placing our hopes on one man, the problems we face will require the work of millions, not to mention a less corrupt Congress. Changing the course of the ship of state is no easy task, and expecting one man to perform miracles is a recipe for disaster.

If you want change, be prepared to roll up your sleeves.

0 comments:

top