Sunday Morning

Something's wrong. The sun is shining, the birds are singing. As Ren Hoek would say, it's too nice a day to be stupid indoors. I can't remember the last time I saw sunshine in the morning here in Portegon... what? oh, that?... It's a contraction my young daughter made a few years ago of Portland and Oregon... Portegon. Rolls off the tongue nicely.

Anyway, it's over. Billary called off their campaign and endorsed Obama yesterday. It'll be interesting to see what they get in return for putting their narcissism on the back burner. Now Obama can focus on defeating McBush. Let loose the dogs of war...

• The New York Times Magazine is featuring architecture today, and there are some things more or less worth reading in it. An article entitled Cities for Living by Roger Scruton in the City Journal - that bastion of reactionary thought - caught my eye. It discusses urban design and the work of Leon Krier. It is such an awful article that I cannot recommend it enough. I'm writing a response to it, which I hope to finish and post soon.

• Ian Buruma discusses Standard Operating Procedure in the New York Review of Books this week.

I hope it's sunny wherever you are, too.

0 comments:

top